Wednesday, January 21, 2009

And God Was There

James Day of New York found the poem below on the body of a dead soldier whose identity has never been determined.

And God Was There

Look God, I have never spoken to you,
But now I want to say "how do you do"
You see God, they told me you didn't exist,
and like a fool, I believed all this.

Last night from a shell hole, I saw your sky,
I figured right then they had told me a lie.
Had I taken the time to see things you made,
I'd have known they weren't calling a spade a spade.

I wonder God, if you'd shake my hand,
Somehow I feel that you will understand.
Funny, I had to come to this hellish place,
Before I had time to see your face.

Well, I guess there isn't much more to say,
But I'm sure glad God, I met you today.
I guess the "zero-hour " will soon be here,
But I'm not afraid since I know you're here.

The signal; well God, I'll have to go,
I like you lots, this I want you to know.
Look now, this will be a horrible fight,
Who knows, I may come to your house tonight.

Though I wasn't friendly to you before,
I wonder God, If you'll wait at your door.
Look, I'm crying. Me shedding tears,
I wish I had known you these many years.

Well, I have to go now, God, good-bye,
Strange, since I met you, I'm not afraid to die.


No comments:

Post a Comment