Friday, January 16, 2009

Prayer for Temper

That temper of mine!

Forgive me, Lord –

I let it get the better of me again.

When will I ever learn to wait

Until I’ve heard the whole story,

To respond under pressure

As Christ would,

To meet evil with good?

I’m growing, Lord,

But my growth is far too slow.

Till my life –

Break up clods of pride,

Root out weeds of selfishness,

Plow under every vestige of stubbornness,

Cultivate me and sow liberally

More of the Spirit’s

Fruit-bearing seed.

Send showers

And storm (if need be)

Shine brightly on my soul.

Then I will sprout forth

Patience and kindness and love –

And self-control –

In abundance,

And my tongue will learn

To help and heal

And praise the Name

Of the One through Whom I pray.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment