Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Various Puritans' quotes

I have gotten more hurt by my good works than my bad ones. My bad works always drove me to the Savior for mercy; my good works often kept me from him, and I began to trust in myself.

Nothing can draw men to repentance but the regal power of Christ, that power which He exercises at God's right hand. For the acts of repentance are hatred of sin, sorrow for it, resolution to forsake it, and endeavour its ruin. Now sin is so transcendently dear, lovely, and delightful to a man out of Christ, as nothing but an infinite power can draw him to these spiritual acts. -David Clarkson

It is better to have divisions than evil uniformity. -Walter Cradock

If a loving heart is without fear of the day of judgment, he is without fear of falling away. -John Cotton

The Word generates faith and regenerates us. -Joseph Alleine

For no man is damned precisely because God hath not chosen him, because he is not elected, but because he is a sinner, and doth wilfully refuse the means of grace offered. -Anthony Burgess

The friends of free-will are the enemies of free-grace. -John Trapp

I had rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous. -Thomas Lye

O miserable man, what a deformed monster has sin made you! God made you little lower than the angels; sin has made you little better than the devils. -Joseph Alleine

To this throne I boldly come and there my sins confess, knowing full well that in Him I shall obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. -Ebenezer Erskine

Indifference in religion, is the first step to apostasy from religion. -William Secker

I will give you this as a most certain observation, that there never was anything of false worship imposed upon the church, but either it was by neglecting the Scripture, or by introducing something above the Scripture. -John Collins

The more purely God's word is preached, the more deeply it pierces and the more kindly it works. -William Gouge

If you would attain the true knowledge of the Christian religion, study the Bible, especially the New Testament. The Bible has God for its author, salvation for its end, and truth without error for its matter! -John Locke

God dwells as glorious in a saint when he is in the dark, as when he is in light, for darkness is His secret place, and His pavilion round about Him are dark waters. -William Erberry

All fundamental errors and heresies in the Church may be traced to this source - 'Ye do err, not knowing the Scriptures'. (Matthew 22:29) They are mostly based on partial or disjointed statements of truth. Truth separated from truth becomes error. Never has apostasy from the faith been connected with a prayerful and diligent study of the word of God. -Charles Bridges

The more purely God's word is preached, the more deeply it pierces and the more kindly it works. -William Gouge

Not to be afflicted is a sign of weakness; for, therefore God imposeth no more on me, because He sees I can bear no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment